Subject: Re: Be and free software
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 13:52:42 -0500 (EST)

Ben_Tilly@trepp.com writes:
 > Russell Nelson writes:
 > > Ben_Tilly@trepp.com writes:
 > > Yes, of course.  The GPL is not designed to grant any rights to people
 > > who don't have the software.  There's no free software license which
 > > puts the onus of distribution on the holder of a copy of the software.
 >
 > Of course?  It is not so obvious to me.  I think that it is a matter of
 > valid disagreement.  As long as they hold the product and source tight, and
 > only use the product internally, I don't consider it free.

Are you talking about the code as if it were a person?  If so, then
yes, in that case the code is not free.  However, every person with a
copy of the code is still free to distribute it as they wish.  Cygnus
is choosing not to distribute it because they told the customer they
wouldn't.  And the customer doesn't want to distribute it.

Again, I don't know of any license that lifts code from the hands of
unwilling parties.  Maybe there's a reason for this?