Subject: So, tell me this is a stupid service to try to sell
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 22:48:41 -0500 (EST)

I was just getting together a release of a proprietary (I have sinned,
St. IGNUcious, forgive me!) Linux Protocol Analyzer, and I was
thinking, "Boy, it'd sure be nice if I could run this on a bunch of
machines running RH5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 6.0, 6.1, S.u.S.E whatever (sorry,
but I don't have all their version numbers memorized), Caldera 2.2 and
2.3, and Debian 2.0 and potato."

No, I don't have that many machines, and no I don't want to take the
time to set up that many, and no I don't want to pay someone to do my
testing.  I just want to rent a machine for a period of time, knowing
that it's got a secure vanilla installation of one of the above OS's.

The only problem is that there's no strong barrier to entry.  Capital
costs, branding, and providing good service, are about the only things
I can see to keep out someone who doesn't care about margins or return
on investment or any of that sillyness.