Subject: Re: FSB Marketing
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 10:36:17 -0500 (EST)

Kragen Sitaker writes:
 > Stephen Turnbull writes:
 > > OK, well, if you can do it, I guess it can be done.  But I didn't mean
 > > "honest to the public", I meant honest to myself.  I couldn't advocate
 > > FS (which definitely costs me as a developer money), simultaneously
 > > with policies whose only benefit I was aware of was to make me money,
 >
 > FS costs you as a developer money in the same way that lower taxes cost
 > the government money.

You could even argue that that *is* the sole social benefit needed.

I mean, there is NO QUESTION is free software is a total win for
society IF it is produced.  Nobody with a shred of common sense will
honestly argue that it makes sense to charge money for software that
people are going to write whether they get paid or not.

Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | "Ask not what your country
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | can force other people to
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | do for you..."  -Perry M.