Subject: Re: Sun to free Solaris.
From: <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 12:14:30 -0800
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 12:14:30 -0800
On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 06:39:57PM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Rich Morin wrote:
> >
> > At 10:11 AM +0000 1/26/00, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > >But sometimes they become Apache :-)
> >
> > IIRC, The Apache folks specifically started with an older (and less-
> > encumbered) version of httpd, to avoid licensing problems.  A better
> > example might be 4.4BSD-Lite...
>
> My point was that a fork that was maintained as patches became Apache.
> You are correct about the licensing.

So is Apache an instance of project forking in part based on licensing
terms?  I'd been looking for instances of this previously, and had come
up only with the Qt project.  What were the NCSA webserver licensing
terms like?

Now if only I can find someone who knows SSLeay....

;-)

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)