Subject: Re: street performer protocol
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 10:44:06 -0400 (EDT)

Stephen J. Turnbull writes:
 > "But open source development is cheaper!" you cry.  Which brings us
 > back to the assertion that open source in the long run can develop
 > better products with _much_ less financing.
 >
 > How?  Why aren't those techniques available to proprietary firms?

Because of the transaction costs involved in 1) sharing your source
with your customers, 2) getting fixes back from your customers, 3)
getting senderidiptious (I can *see* my dictionary buried under a
pile.  If I could get to the pile I could get the dictionary.  But
that pile is about four feet away from any clear space of floor in
which to stand on, so .... I don't *have* a functional dictionary)
improvements made (you can't identify which customer would make such a
change unless you share your source code with all your customers, but
that goes back to #1).

Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | "Ask not what your country
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | can force other people to
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | do for you..."  -Perry M.