Subject: Re: FSBs and client-server
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 14:38:41 -0400 (EDT)

Tim O'Reilly writes:
 > What an odd idea, that you don't want to buy a book with which you might
 > disagree!

What if everyone did that?  Then the best-seller lists would be filled
with books that the owners didn't like!

 > > >From the little I have gathered from what people have said, and the
 > > excerpts on his web page, he's dubious of the libertarian philosophy.
 > > A lot of smart people are dubious of a free market, because they think
 > > that they can do better because they're so smart, and, well, because
 > > everybody else is dumber than them.  They think that they can escape
 > > the problems of the free market (which are severe) by deciding on the
 > > right thing to do, and then forcing everyone to do it.
 >
 > You probably got this idea ...

I got it from Lessig's excerpts published on his web page.  If I drew
the wrong conclusion from the book's conclusion, Lessig only has
himself to blame.  His conclusion is that we need more laws.  Don't
believe me -- go read it for yourself:

http://code-is-law.org/excerpts.html

Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | "Ask not what your country
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | can force other people to
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | do for you..."  -Perry M.