Subject: Re: NYT Times on Mainstream
From: "Tim O'Reilly" <tim@oreilly.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:57:50 -0700

Brian Bartholomew wrote:

> > CODE NAME: MAINSTREAM
> > The President's Information Technology Advisory Committee, a
> > group of university researchers and corporate executives, will
> > issue a report advising President Clinton to support open-source
> > software as a way to meet the increasing demand for better
> > software.  The support of the federal government would be a
> > significant victory for proponents of open-source, who recently
> > have seen their ideology move from the fringe to the mainstream
> > of the computer-programming world.
>
> The US federal government has collectivized and centrally planned
> every other sector of the economy, why shouldn't they believe they own
> software?  Does anyone else see this as a screaming horror?

Brian,

I think you completely miss the point.  This wasn't some kind of
centralized takeover, just a blessing for government agencies to use
open source.  This is a good thing, just as it's good that big companies
now feel it's ok to come out of the closet about their use of it.

101 Morris Street, Sebastopol, CA 95472
+1 707-829-0515, FAX +1 707-829-0104
tim@oreilly.com, http://www.oreilly.com