Subject: Re: Who Owns You?
From: "Tim O'Reilly" <tim@oreilly.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 18:43:36 -0700

I like this a lot.  And no, you didn't offend me.  You are absolutely
right about the motivation.  There was another bit, which was the
trigger.  I felt I owed something to Larry for the opportunity he had
created.  I saw him being pushed at by people who did have various ideas
about how he should commercialize perl, and I wanted to just say "it's
OK to do it your way" with a loosely coupled deal in which I didn't try
to get anything at all explicit out of it.  I saw it kind of like a
faculty member getting tenure at a university. At some point, you want
Einstein at the Institute for Advanced Studies just because they've
earned it, and you hope for some good stuff to come out of it.

BTW, every commercial company has its software fellows, so this isn't
something unique to open source.  IBM Almaden Research and other
facilities like it are full of people just doing cool stuff while other
people look for interesting crumbs that fall from the table.

Some other things we did were more self-interested, such as investing in
ActiveState and organizing the oneperl effort to reintegrate the UNIX
and Windows versions of Perl.  We felt that a fork would be bad for
business, or would reduce the opportunity for Perl to grow on a new
platform (Windows).

Simon Cozens wrote:

> Submitted for peer review. (And to make sure I haven't offended Bob or Tim.)

101 Morris Street, Sebastopol, CA 95472
+1 707-829-0515, FAX +1 707-829-0104
tim@oreilly.com, http://www.oreilly.com