Subject: Re: GNU and classified software
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 17:26:17 -0800
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 17:26:17 -0800
on Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 09:15:44AM -0500, Ben Tilly@trepp.com (Ben Tilly@trepp.com)
wrote:

> Frank Hecker wrote:
> > Norbert Bollow wrote:
> > > However you are not allowed to take parts of the source code of
> > > GNU programs and adapt them for inclusion in classified
> > > software.
> >
> > I respectfully disagree. Based on my reading of it, the GPL does not
> > require that you make source code for derived works publicly available,
> > it requires only that you make the source code available to those to
> > whom you distribute the derived work...
>
> Is slipping spyware into an unsuspecting person's computer
> "distribution"?
>
> What if they never discover it? :-)

That's not quite so glib as you might think it is.

I had a brainwave some time back that foreign companies whose
communications were being intercepted by Echelon might seek suit against
the US Government under the DMCA anti-circumvetion laws.  While national
security is exempted, corporate and/or commercial interests are not.
This could be an interesting bit of caselaw.

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]