Subject: Re: Spam [Fwd: How to get rich.]
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 22:27:54 -0400 (EDT)

Crispin Cowan writes:
 > So, it seems that the spammers have harvested the fsb@crynwr.com
 > address.  It won't be long before there's a flood of crap posted there.
 > Shall we consider employing some kind of spam filter?  "Subscribers
 > only" is my favorite, and is what we employ on the Immunix mailing
 > lists.

We already have an anti-spam filter, and it rejects at least one piece
of spam a day.  It's called "Russ Nelson".  If someone new sends email
to the list, their first posting goes to me.  If it's spam, I delete
it, and remove their name from the "allow" filter.  Otherwise I
forward it to the list.  This works quite well, and permits people to
post two or more postings even if I'm off the net.  Unfortunately, the
rare spammer posts twice using the same envelope sender.  When this
happens, the spam gets through.

--
-russ nelson will be speaking at http://www.osdn.com/conferences/brie/
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | Watch out!  He's got an