Subject: Re: Proprietary but flexible licenses.
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 10:31:15 -0700
Tue, 8 May 2001 10:31:15 -0700
on Mon, May 07, 2001 at 08:07:01PM -0400, Adam Theo (adamtheo@theoretic.com) wrote:
> thank you everyone, mr cowan, mr turner, and mr self.

> can anyone direct me to a recommended list (or any discussion) on
> general software license/copyright issues? i would like to listen in
> on topics like that. also, anyone have any preferred websites for
> learning copyright and licensing issues? thank you.

For general discussion, license-discuss.  Though you'll find many of the
same people, and much the same attitude, there.  Specifically,
license-discuss is geared around the discussion of free software
licenses, which what you're suggesting is not.  Interest in your issues
will be limited.

Note that the suggestion to look at Microsoft's current "Shared Source"
(again, a gross misnomer, I am actively soliciting preferred terms for
this, "software porn" comes to mind, again, it's pretty much a
striptease) for inspiration is made with a strong pejorative bent.  This
is not an encouraged strategy.

For specific advice on licensing, you'll need to talk to a lawyer.  That
said, there are two things you should be aware of:

  - Very few IP lawyers have an appreciation or understanding of free
    software licensing issues.

  - The awareness of some fairly obscure aspects of copyright law, and
    the dynamics of software licensing, in the free software community,
    is very high.  Though I won't suggest you use this as a legal
    resource, I'd strongly encourage you to consider views expressed as
    a strategic guide.

For general information on licensing:

    Philosophy and background:
	http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html
	http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
	http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.html

    For a *very* good third-party collection of licensing articles and
    issue papers, see Donald K. Rosenberg's archive at Stromian
    Technologies:
        http://www.stromian.com/

    For copyright law itself:
        http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/index.html