Subject: Re: a model of competition between free and proprietary software
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 09:21:27 -0400 (EDT)

Tom Hull writes:
 > It is interesting how much F has been developed by people when they
 > are not acting as entrepreneurs, capitalists, or [wage] workers.

I need an example here.

 > I don't doubt that if one starts with the assumption that all human
 > action is fundamentally economic, one can come up with economic
 > rationalizations for F.

The only question is whether an economic analysis creates predictions
which come true.  If it doesn't, then it's a wrong theory (or a right
theory which is being mis-applied).  Whether people realize they're
engaging in economic behavior or not is besides the point.  Even if
people think they're escaping from economic behavior, that's besides
the point.

Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | Microsoft rivets everything.
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | Linux has some loose screws.
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX  | You own a screwdriver.