Subject: Re: a model of competition between free and proprietary software
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 23:20:20 -0700
Sun, 27 May 2001 23:20:20 -0700
on Sun, May 27, 2001 at 04:33:28AM -0400, kragen@pobox.com (kragen@pobox.com) wrote:
> >     Seth> and if F's maintainer is competent, F's quality is roughly
> >     Seth> proportional to the number of developer-hours spent on it.

> I'm not sure this is true.  Debian, as far as I understand it without
> being on any of its mailing lists, has several hundred people, each of
> whom contributes several hours per week to exactly this kind of
> coordination.

I've run some stats on this.  Counting unstable development, at the end
of April, 2001, there were 824 package maintainers producing 6,875
packages for Debian.  Most of them handling one or two packages, a few
doing upwards of a score or two.

   Disclaimer:          http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]