Subject: Re: Lessig (was Re: As if the DMCA wasn't bad enough)
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 11:10:14 -0400 (EDT)

Rafe Colburn writes:
 >  For example, it has become possible over the last couple of decades
 > to easily keep detailed histories of everyone's financial transactions
 > which can be retrieved instantly.  It's not law that has provided
 > corporations with this new capability, it's code.

On the other hand, we can also keep and share detailed histories of
companies financial transactions.  Code is not a unilateral transfer
of power.  Code is a tool, and both edges cut.

 >  Your command.com example from an earlier email wasn't a good one.
 > I'm not concerned about the code running on my computer, I'm concerned
 > about the code running on those run by the government, big corporations,
 > and other entities over which I basically have no influence.

If you have no influence over the government, how can you expect to
affect any change through laws?  You've got a lot more influence over
corporations (big or not), because you decide to buy or not, and you
reap the benefits of a wise decision.  If you buy a car, it's worth
your time to spend time researching cars, because you have 100%
influence over the choice and 100% responsibility for the results of
that choice.  But when it comes time to vote, it makes little sense to
invest any effort in voting wisely, because your vote has very little
effect.  Your investment is not likely to pay off.

This is my last reply to the fsb list on the subject of privacy and
code not under your control.

Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | It's past time to allow
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | concealed carry of guns
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | by all air passengers.