Subject: Re: Coordinated effort re: SSSCA?
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 13:32:13 -0700
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 13:32:13 -0700
NB:  I strongly prefer followup response format and trimmed quotes.
Could we please try to achieve this format on FSB?

on Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 02:36:02PM +0100, Jean Camp (jean camp@harvard.edu) wrote:
> At 1:58 am +0200 9/20/01, Bernard Lang wrote:
> >On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 02:25:41PM -0400, Michael Tiemann wrote:
> >>  John McDermott wrote:
> >>
> >>  > Does anyone plan or know of a coordinated effort for dealing with the
> >>  > SSSCA? Has anyone heard of plans to get it introduced and on the Senate
> >>  > calendar?

<...>

> >>  Red Hat has sponsored lobbyists on capitol hill, and we plan to
> >>  fight SSSCA to the best of our abilities, but having 100,000
> >>  educators or 10,000,000 technical professionals on our side would
> >>  help alot.
> >>
> >>  If anybody feels inclined to join that effort, I'm sure I can get
> >>  a list together--send me mail with SSSCA at the front of the
> >>  subject line, and I'll get you subscribed if there are enough
> >>  (more than 20) people.

> >May I suggest you coordinate with Barbara Simons <simons@acm.org>
> >and Gene Spafford <spaf@cerias.purdue.edu>, Co-Chairs of
> >U.S. ACM Public Policy Committee (USACM)

> Write letters.  Hollings would not normally get ten letters on this.
> LOOK at the the medical industries.  TELL your employees that their
> jobs are on the the line.

What's the significance of the medical industries?  Are they effected by
this, or are they a model of activism?

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]