Subject: Re: "I've got more programmers than you"
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 12:23:48 -0700
Sun, 7 Oct 2001 12:23:48 -0700
on Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 08:08:54PM +0100, Ben Laurie (ben@algroup.co.uk) wrote:
> "Jonathan S. Shapiro" wrote:
> >
> > From an accounting perspective, I believe that the web site and it's
> > maintainance costs could also be considered fixed infrastructure, as
> > it contributes no per-unit cost, and you would be maintaining it
> > anyway.
>
> That's not true - it costs at least bandwidth, and potentially lots of
> infrastructure - a single server can only hand out so many pages per
> second, after all.

For most sw d/l sites, the bandwidth needs aren't going to be that
tremendous.  Particularly with mirroring and peering.  Except for the
very largest projects (in terms of LoC and popularity), modest equipment
will suffice.

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]