Subject: The name of the Freed OS is Linux
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 1 Dec 1997 03:24:58 -0000

Joel N. Weber, II writes:
 > But I often wonder why it is that people seem to think that the Linux kernel
 > is the most wonderful thing in the world.

Linux has more momentum, and better marketing.  Linux is more likely
to get hardware vendors' attention so they will write and support
Linux drivers.  Linux is more likely to get software vendors'
attention so they will create native Linux versions of their software.

Freebsd, Netbsd, Openbsd, 386bsd, and the Herd are all nice, but
they only serve to fragment the free Unix market.  You see the same
effect when a vendor offers too many versions of their product.  The
consumer's response is to throw their hands up and seek a different
vendor.  And some of the consumers, in this case, include hardware and
software vendors who, when confronted with Linux, Freebsd, Netbsd,
Openbsd, 386bsd, BSDI, and the Herd, are going to say "Forget it, this
market is too fragmented.  Any investment on my part is going to be
wasted."

THAT is why there is only one Freed Operating System--and its name is Linux.

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>  http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson  | Freedom is the
Crynwr Software supports freed software | PGPok |   primary cause of peace.