Subject: Re: MS hiring open-source folks ?
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 12:17:13 -0800
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 12:17:13 -0800
on Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 08:24:06PM +0100, Bernard Lang (Bernard.Lang@inria.fr) wrote:

> sorry for the editing mistakes...
>
>   ... I forgot to erase 2 paragraphs from a copy of a personnal e-mail.
>
> le message was suppoed to be:
>

> I just read in a French science magazine of rather good standing, an
> article on free software.  It states:
>
>  A cpmpany that adheres to the Intellectual Property model, like
> Microsoft, will think twice before hiring an open-source supporter.
>
> (my translation)
>
>   As far as I know, the above statement is wrong (as well as many
> other statements in the article).
>
>   I would like names of free software / open-source people that MS
> (or other large proprietary firms) tried to hire.
>   Stories ... references to published articles are even better.

Notably:  Alan Cox, though this appears to have been an informal query.
It was widely reported a couple of years ago.

There were attempts in Australia 1Q2001 to recruit individuals through
GNU/Linux user groups and associated channels.  Microsoft was also
recruiting for an open source (anti-)evangelist position, which appears
to have been filled (to varying definitions of competence) by Douglas
Miller, formerly of Interix, aquired as Unix services for NT by MSFT.

Microsoft is largely distinct among software development houses as
having a vested oposition to free software.  Most other vendors are at
worst neutral in stance, many are openly supportive of free software,
though this is also tempered by market realities.  Server-side and
embedded support is far higher than desktop / client support.

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]