Subject: RE: How to run an FSB R&D lab (maybe)
From: Scott Capdevielle <scott@syndicom.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:06:47 -0800

I have been following this thread with a great deal of interest. I have
been involved in a start-up that is trying to do this very thing. We
have observed a number of interesting things:

1. It is probably impossible to create this in a corporate environment
for several reasons: the employees are not able to own their product
(unlike university settings where open source licenses are common),
employees are not free to define their own methods of production
(typically they have to follow some sort of corporate protocol) and they
are not free to work on whatever they choose.

2. It LOOKS possible to do this with individuals who own or operate
their own small business.  I think you can see that there are a number
of individuals who own a small consulting shop that participate
frequently in the development of open source projects.

3. The behavioral protocols that are established and practiced will, in
large part, determine the success of the venture.

4. There doesn't appear to be an upper limit on the number of
collabotors to have success.