Subject: Re: Development vs. aquisition costs
From: Chip Mefford <cmefford@avwashington.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 19:32:01 -0500

Don Marti wrote:
> begin  Karsten M. Self quotation of Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 01:47:56PM -0800:
>

>>However, and again, speaking with an admin's hat, not a pseudoeconomist,
>>a PITA to maintain, and given to unpleasent surprises at inconvenient
>>times.  Which I suppose, back to the subject of this message, impacts
>>costs and capabilities.
>

> There was an article in a system administration
> magazine a few years ago on how sysadmins spend
> their time, and administration of licenses and
> license servers was a good-sized slice of the pie.
> I've been looking for it -- ring a bell for anyone?
>
> Economics question: would sysadmin time put into
> administering licenses and license servers count as
> a transaction cost?

Sorry, I know this is a serious discussion, but
honestly, folks who have to deal with administering
licenses don't seem to think much about it, as if it
was just like paying taxes, something they get paid
(if they were accountants) to do. A normal task.

For me personally, there is very little in life I hate
more than have to figure out for myself how much rent
I owe on stuff I've already had to pay for.

If it isn't considered a transaction cost, it should
sure as heck be considered a life-style cost.
I'm sure folks have had heart attacks and strokes
over dealing with a certain specific vendors miserable
wares and rent on the same.

(I know of at least 2 heart attacks personally).