Subject: Re: FW: Why would I pay for Ximian software?
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: 04 Jan 2002 12:21:34 +0900

    Ian> I disagree.  There are some cases where an economic model can
    Ian> help.  But most of the time it is more important to
    Ian> understand how your customers consciously view the world.

Speaking prose without knowing it.  You should know better, Ian.  :-)

    Ian> economics is largely the study of existing
    Ian> institutions, not descriptions of hypothetical ones.

Not at all.  It's true that Smith started there, and Marx elevated
avoiding thinking about new institutions to a high art, with
disastrous consequences.  But almost all interesting economics is
about institutions "that never were, and ask[ing] 'why not'?"  Even
Adam Smith aimed at that.

Unfortunately, the reasons why not are usually convincing.  Thus, "the
Dismal Science."