Subject: Re: Chaordic Commons
From: Giles <giles@oz.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 11:00:53 -0700

Scott Capdevielle wrote:

>The Dead on the other hand became the most profitable band on the planet
>while they were touring.  They realized that by "giving away" their
>music, they reached the largest amount of fans possible, therefore
>expanding the market for their live shows.  Every show was sold out and
>they played hundreds of times a year.  This is no accident.
>
>So what does that have to do with free software? I think it is very
>clear.  By giving away the software, you maximize the potential market.
>Every minute a developer spends contributing to an open license product,
>makes that developer more valuable to a "user" of the software.  And
>ultimately, if we can make the personal contribution to the
>implementation of software the most valuable ( as opposed to the license
>) then we, the contributors stand to gain the most.
>scott

Interesting analogy.  I wonder where the comparable "sold out concert"
is for most open source projects.  Is it the custom development projects
people want.  The support contracts.  I think this concept would work
well for something like Linux which has a comparable reach as The Dead.
 I'm less sure about more niche projects.   A concert adds something
special worth paying for over and above the commons(common code in this
case or taped music).  The freely given taped music seemed to drive
sales of tickects.  I can't make the connection where most open source
projects are using this good will to the same purpose.  Any examples?

--
Alan Hudson
President: Yumetech, Inc.                      http://www.yumetech.com/