Subject: Re: Giving Richard His Due
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 15 Feb 2002 07:33:20 -0800

"Tony Stanco" <Tony@FreeDevelopers.net> writes:

> See The End of History? The National Interest, Summer 1989 Francis Fukuyama
> [http://www.wku.edu/~sullib/history.htm] and also his book of the same name
> (which makes the case even stronger a couple of years later):
>
> +What we may be witnessing in not just the end of the Cold War, or the
> passing of a
> +particular period of post-war history, but the end of history as such: that
> is, the end
> +point of mankind's ideological evolution and the universalization of
> Western liberal
> +democracy as the final form of human government.

I would have thought that anybody who believed that even temporarily
was disabused of their belief on September 11, and the continuing
aftermath reaction of popular opinion in the Islamic Arab countries.
Fukuyama's position was wrong when he stated it, and the last ten
years should have made that clear to everybody.

Anybody who similarly thinks that a free software world is inevitable
needs to seriously consider Lessig's first book, Code and Other Laws
of Cyberspace.  Lessig doesn't think a free software world can't
happen, but he makes clear that it is not inevitable.

Ian