Subject: Re: Meeting the MS challenge
From: "L. Peter Deutsch" <ghost@aladdin.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 97 08:22 PST

>> ... Linus personally maintains architectural review and control of Linux.
>> Linux was not developed on the Apache model ...
>
> what about freeBSD and the others
>
> Is it a question of software architecture, or just sociological ?

Sociological.  I was trying to make the point that if a single person has a
large fraction of the responsibility for a large piece of (libre) software,
that person is bearing a disproportionate share of the cost, and is less
likely to feel they are receiving commensurate benefit from the libre
software pool as a whole; therefore, I think the most successful model of
libre software development in the long run will be one where no single
person bears this load.  It is my impression that the process used to manage
the development of Apache successfully addresses both the social and
technical aspects of this issue.  If this is true, it will be a surprising
counterexample to my past experience, which seemed to indicate that a large
and widely dispersed group cannot successfully develop or maintain a
coherent software architecture.

--

L. Peter Deutsch         |       Aladdin Enterprises :::: ghost@aladdin.com
203 Santa Margarita Ave. | tel. +1-650-322-0103 (AM only); fax +1-650-322-1734