Subject: Re: improving project maintainership
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 11:36:59 -0500 (EST)

Richard Stallman writes:
 >     I don't either.  I have repeatedly requested of RMS that he stop
 >     saying that the Open Source Initiative is any less interested in
 >     freedom than RMS or his organization.
 >
 > www.opensource.org does not present its cause as a matter of freedom.

Indeed.  You have so polluted the matter of software freedom with your
inability to compromise to effect greater software freedom that
combining the terms "software" and "freedom" invariably harden
many people's positions.  How many free software businesses actually
describe themselves as such?  I think that most are eager not to, just
to get away from your reputation for moral condemnation.

Nonetheless, the cause of software freedom is so important to me that
I am willing to risk alienating the leader of the free software
movement, the stalwart, who took us through the dark ages.

 > When I describe the disagreement between the two movements, that is
 > what I tell people.

I have told you what is important to me.  I run this mailing list, I
run mailing lists for other free software projects, I host web pages
for free software projects, I write free software, I earn a living
from free software, I volunteer advocating free software.  You cannot
tell others what is not important to me without being able to know me
better than I know myself.  Who can know that, short of a god?  You
are not a god, nor are you my God.

What you say is a lie.  Stop saying it.

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com | Crypto without a threat
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | model is like cookies