Subject: Re: Free Software vs. Open Source
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:23:31 -0500 (EST)

Larry Augustin writes:
 > I believe that RMS and the FSF have slowed the acceptance of Free
 > Software by their unwillingness to compromise on these two points.  I
 > believe that adopting the terminology and arguments presented by the OSI
 > would accelerate the acceptance of Free Software.

You are quite right, but that is not important to Richard.  As Richard
said just a day or so ago, the acceptance, use, quantity, or quality
of Free Software is immaterial to him and the FSF.  What matters is
that people accept his morality.  Success, for him, is defined more by
the absence of proprietary software than the existance of free
software.  To that extent, the FSF is the enemy of Free Software
Businesses.  Businesses, to be as successful as they can, must not
adopt any morality.

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com | Crypto without a threat
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | model is like cookies