Subject: Re: Free Software vs. Open Source
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:54:57 -0500 (EST)

Tim O'Reilly writes:

 > > On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 11:23:31AM -0500, Russell Nelson wrote:
 > >>  Businesses, to be as successful as they can, must not
 > >> adopt any morality.
 >
 > Wow, do I disagree with this.  In my experience, a strong moral code is a
 > key part of an enduring corporation.  See Collins' book Built to Last.
 >
 > "Moral" is a strong word, of course.  It might be better to say "a strong
 > belief system."

I think that companies have to serve customers, first and last.  You
could probably call that a morality if you wish.  I'm really referring
to a morality causes you to fail to serve some customers, e.g. the way
racists would prefer not to serve minorities.  Maybe "morality" is not
the right word?

 > Companies that believe only in the bottom line are rarely (if ever) great
 > companies.

How are you defining "great company" here?

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com | Crypto without a threat
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | model is like cookies