Subject: Re: Giving Richard His Due
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 20:59:51 -0500 (EST)

Tony Stanco writes:
 > Why is it so hard for people to give Richard his due? But for Richard, there
 > would be no GPL. But for the GPL, there would be no Free Software nor,
 > arguably, Open Source.

I recall an organization Richard promoted some years ago called the
League for Programming Freedom.  One of the League's tenets (and I was
a member) was that reinvention is commonplace in the software world,
and so patents on software are bad.

Now you're trying to give Richard a virtual patent on inventing free
software, and free software licenses?  I expect him to decline.

 > Now we only ridicule them.

Count yourself in that "we" if you want, but count me out of it.

 > Finally, I would say, the world has always rewarded those who took ethical
 > stands over those who compromised for expediency's sake.

History has forgotten those who took ethical stands over ideas ... and
failed to convince anyone that those ideas were worthwhile.

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com | Crypto without a threat
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | model is like cookies