Subject: Re: Free Software vs. Open Source
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:38:26 -0500 (EST)

Richard Stallman writes:
 > If the OSI stated that position, if it called proprietary software a
 > scourge, if it said that there is something *bad* about non-free
 > software, its position would be a lot closer to ours.

I don't think that's going to happen.  An organization with which you
probably have very little experience, La Leche League, advocates for
breast-feeding.  LLL has been very successful in a resurgance of
breast-feeding in this country.  One of the things they have been VERY
CAREFUL, and continue to be VERY CAREFUL not to do is label
formula-feeding *bad*.  LLL leaders help mothers nurse their babies as
much as the mothers are willing, and they are selected as good
role-models.  But any mother willing to nurse is not a *bad* mother if
she does not live up to LLL's standards.

I don't believe that labelling activities as *bad* are productive.  If
that is what you require of us in order to cooperate with us, then I
think you're going to have to be the only party telling people their
proprietary software is *bad*.

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com | Crypto without a threat
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | model is like cookies