Subject: Re: Value returned from free(d) software
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 3 Dec 1997 18:41:36 -0000

L. Peter Deutsch writes:
 > Aladdin Ghostscript pays well through being licensed with a non-libre
 > license.  What kind of licenses for the Crynwr packet drivers and the Cygnus
 > Solutions GNU system provide the revenue?  Are they libre licenses that
 > provide revenue through services (support / customization), or non-libre
 > licenses?

Support/customization.  Yes, in a perfect free market, there is no
value added by creating the software.  In an imperfect one, customers
are likely to go to the source of the software when looking for
support.

Nonetheless, if I were going to do it again, I would have used the
FPL, not the GPL.  I was a dope to give away that much value to
companies the likes of FTP Software, Distinct, Beame & Whiteside,
Esker, J.River, and others.

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>  http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson  | Freedom is the
Crynwr Software supports freed software | PGPok |   primary cause of peace.