Subject: Re: Exceptions to GPL, anyone have some prototype aggreements?
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 23:49:01 -0700
Fri, 24 May 2002 23:49:01 -0700
on Fri, May 24, 2002, Al Davis (aldavis@ieee.org) wrote:

> I am doing some work that will be developing some software that is to
> be released under GPL.  I have it partly developed now, but the
> project has been on hold for a while.  Nothing has been released yet.
> I have some funders lined up who will fund the completion of the work
> in exchange for exceptions to GPL on this work.  We have a verbal
> agreement on approximately what is expected.  I need to formalize it.
>
> Are there are any prototype aggreements for this that have already
> been written, that I could copy?  Does anyone here have experience on
> this that you would be willing to share?

StarOffice, that bloated stuck pig of an office suite, / OpenOffice.

What you're describing sounds largely typical of many dual (or multi-)
licensing schemes.  This is a topic which has been discussed extensively
-- though I'll be the first to say much of the discussion is muddy.

...and having used the latest OO release, I'll have to modify my
StarOffice vim "abbreviation" somewhat.  It's improved markedly.

IANAL, TINLA, YADA.

Peace.

   We freed Dmitry!        Boycott Adobe!         Repeal the DMCA!
     http://www.freesklyarov.org

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]