Subject: The Pledge model -- K5 generates 6 mos income in three days
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:24:08 -0700
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:24:08 -0700
An interesting addendum to the list of FSB models.  The web site
Kuro5hin (http://www.kuro5hin.org/), facing a terminal (and typical)
lack of income, appealed to its readers for support.  With modest staff
and expenses (largely Rusty Foster, hosting and hardware are supplied),
the annual target stated was US$70k.

What makes this an FSB story rather than just another "community website
goes broke" item is that K5 is also the foundry of its underlying
engine, the Scoop weblog engine (to which I've made design
contributions).  Development is by a model typical to free software
projects.  Primary itch scratcher is Rusty Foster, with a core group of
a dozen or so developers, largely communicating via email (scoop-help)
and IRC (#kuro5hin on Slashnet).  Other costs are minimized.  The
teaming entreprenuerial hub is Silicon Island, aka Peaks Island, ME,
where Rusty toils from his house.  Other primary team members are in the
US, Canada, and UK.

Rusty summarizes the situation in this post:

    http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/6/21/10533/6651

The Register has coverage:

...and there are upcoming items for Wired and C|Net.

Interesting addition to the modes of "how do I support my free software
project".

Peace.

   SBC PacBell:  The phone is once again your fiend.
     http://www.consumernet.org/turn/body pacbell monopoly.shtml

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]