Subject: Re: EU REPORT CALLS FOR WIDESPREAD OPEN SOURCE ADOPTION
From: "Tim O'Reilly" <tim@oreilly.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 10:24:13 -0700

On 7/11/02 1:36 AM, "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Based on your capsule here (I've read neither the report nor your
> summary, there's only 25 hours in a day), that's Tim O'Reilly's "gated
> source" idea from a ways back.

Just to be clear, it was Dan Frye of IBM who came up with that term, in one
of the early open source briefings we did at IBM.  I merely reported on it,
although I do think it is a good idea in some settings.  I haven't read the
European report either, and I'm not sure I'd support governmental gated
source rather than open source, but I do think it's a good option for
companies that aren't willing to go the full open source route, but still
want to work more closely with their customers.

See http://tim.oreilly.com/opensource/gated.html for details on both the
origin of the term and some explanation of a situation in which it might
make sense.

1-707-829-0515 http://www.oreilly.com, http://tim.oreilly.com