Subject: Re: Successful FSBs
From: Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@free-expression.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 00:20:26 -0500

On Thursday 19 September 2002 19:10, Brian J. Fox wrote:
> It's my belief that we on this list are looking for business models
> that are sustainable, scalable, and easy to understand.  Being "VC
> Fundable" is one marker that these goals have been achieved.

    I don't know why "scalable" would be a requirement.  Doesn't the
list maintainer run a "lifestyle business"?
    Really, there's no reason to be biased towards large-scale businesses.
Quite the opposite, actually, free software seems to enable people
to _escape_ that kind of business.  That and perhaps the 10x performance
differential between classes of programmers.
    If anything, why not orient towards how you convince large businesses
to deal with small-scale operations (like Russell's government contract
problem a while back)?  I mean, if we were going get exclusionary of
certain types of FSBs.

Lynn