Subject: Re: Open Source shareware?
From: Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 23:00:11 -0700

>     Rich> If someone comes along with a client they like better and
>     Rich> want to use the server, more power to them (as long as they
>     Rich> subscribe :-).

sjt>If you "wish" that, it's open.  If you enforce it, it's proprietary.

We are entering a time when networked, computer-to-computer services are
going to be quite commonplace.  Providing an Open Source client which
takes advantage of a commercial service is not the same as making the
client code proprietary.  It may not be any better, but it's not the same.

If the client code is essentially useless without the help of the server,
you won't see many Open Source folks getting enthusiastic about it.  So,
if I want these folks to help me improve the client software, I have to
give them something that they consider to be of value.

-r
--
email: rdm@cfcl.com; phone: +1 650-873-7841
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm    - my home page, resume, etc.