Subject: Re: A few here may have an opinion on this
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 22:00:18 +0200

or to put it another way

Brian's position is in complete opposition with the Bayh-Dole act,
which encourages appropriation of publicly funded research.

Appropriation may be by a private company, or by the GPL community.

The whole idea of the Bayh-Dole act is that more benefits will be
extracted from research if it is appropriated.
  One can well assert that for some software creations, there will be
more contribution and more uses, hence more benefit to the economy if
it is GPLed.

  You cannot have it both way.  GPL is just appropriation by the
public.  Either you encourage/allow appropriation, or you
discourage/disallow it.

   Actually, I do not mind having it both ways, as long as the public
is the winner over private interests (social contract, you know).  But
having a contradiction against the public ... isn't that going a bit
far.

Bernard

                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX