Subject: Re: support for a small US college going GNU?
From: Jeremy White <jwhite@codeweavers.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 16:37:26 -0500

In my rather biased opinion, another key tool is Wine (www.winehq.org).
Wine lets you run Windows programs, unmodified, and they run as though
they were native Linux applications.  The challenge with Wine has always
been that it's a very ambitious project, and there are often warts or
problems in running any given application (if you can get it running at
all).

However, a certain friendly Free Software company has been working
its heart out to gradually improve Wine, so that it is increasingly robust.
Further, we're finding that increasingly, even if we have to do work
on a service basis to improve Wine to run an application, Wine can
still be more cost effective than Citrix.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Anderson, Kelly wrote:
> One possibly useful approach to having a way out (especially for the odd
> application that is only available on Windows) would be to use Citrix
> Metaframe, and set up Windows servers that could be accessed through
> Linux desktop systems (That sounds a little backwards than normal,
> doesn't it :-)
>
> Anyway, this would allow users to access Window's applications they
> might depend upon without requireing a Window's box.
>
> Citrix Metaframe is similar to Microsoft Terminal Services, but it's
> more highly configurable and manageable.
>
> -Kelly

message and opening any attachments, the recipient accepts full responsibility for taking
protective action against such code. Sender is not liable for any loss or damage arising
from this message.

> The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is
intended solely for the addressee(s). Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized.