Subject: Re: Recommendations for Basic Economics Guide.
From: "Jerry Dwyer" <gdwyer@dwyerecon.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 12:59:19 -0400

From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
>    Jerry> "Capitalism and Freedom" is not intended to explain
>    Jerry> economics. It is a presentation of a political point of
>    Jerry> view [...].  A similar book from the left-wing point of
>    Jerry> view is "The Zero-sum Society" by Lester Thurow. I think
>    Jerry> that they are good counter-points if one wants to think
>    Jerry> about policies informed by economic reasoning.
>
>Hm.  I may have to go back and reread Thurow.  But at the time I
>thought it was an awfully shallow tract.  The central metaphor was
>pretty poorly chosen, at best.

Personally, I thought that the central metaphor of a "zero-sum society" was awful, but,
at least at the time of writing, I thought that he represented a common viewpoint. It
seems to me that it's not easy to find a good counter-point to Capitalism and Freedom
that takes economics seriously and is at the same analytical level. What would be a
better suggestion?

Jerry