Subject: Re: Recommendations for Basic Economics Guide.
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 10:20:17 -0400 (EDT)

Ralph Corderoy writes:
 > It's more the national or international effects of interest rates,
 > inflation/deflation, strength of local currency, imports/exports,
 > balance of payments, devaluation (I didn't live through Callaghan's
 > devaluation of sterling by about 14% in 1967), etc., that I'd like to
 > get a handle on.

Ahhhh.  Then you should read _Human Action_ by Ludwig von Mises.  It's
a tome and rather slow going.  I read fast, and it took me a year and
a half worth of airplane trips to read it.  The problem is that the
book is full of "Oh!"s which cause you to stop reading and start
re-thinking things you "know".

Other books I recommend are Hidden Order by DavidDFriedman(.com), and
Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt(.org).  And if you only have
five minutes to learn about economics, then read "I, Pencil" by
Leonard Read.  http://www.econlib.org/library/Essays/rdPncl1.html

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com |
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | businesses persuade