Subject: Re: A few here may have an opinion on this
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 18:15:55 +0200

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 10:43:53AM -0400, L Jean Camp wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 October 2002 16:00, Bernard Lang wrote:
> >
> > The whole idea of the Bayh-Dole act is that more benefits will be
> > extracted from research if it is appropriated.
> >   One can well assert that for some software creations, there will be
> > more contribution and more uses, hence more benefit to the economy if
> > it is GPLed.
> >

> The Bayh-Dole act extended to all universities an agreement that had been the
> priviledge of very few high end research universities.
>
> According to all discussions of the policy that I have observed or
> participated in at KSG, the goal was to remove the institutional objections
> to building research and supporting research at state institutions.
>
> The goal was to encourage the proliferation of research capacity in
> universities across the nation.

That is not the way it was presented to me so far.  Rather as a device
to promote the industrial use of research results that were not
properly exploited and lay dormant in universities.

Is ther a good presentation of bayh-dole, explaining in more details
(2-5 pages) what you outline above.

Bernard

> There is an active debate -- has Bayh-Dole outlived its value? Would
> repealling Bayh-Dole cause a return to the bad old days when 90% of the
> funding went to 10% of the institutions?

I do not understand what this has to do with funding repartition.

> O rhas research been
> institutionalized across the nation?
>
> Currently government information and software tends to be put in the public
> domain -- it is ungoverned. The information can be captured and made
> proprietary. A most interesting case of the perverse incentives can be found
> in West Publishing.
    ????

                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX