Subject: Re: Successful FSBs
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 13:27:30 +0900

    Tim> On 10/28/02 5:42 AM, "Stephen J. Turnbull"
    Tim> <stephen@xemacs.org> wrote:

    >> "commercialization" == "productization" == "finding the right
    >> people" == _innovation_.

    Tim> Interesting.  I've never heard that before.  I would have
    Tim> thought that invention == innovation,

Jargon is not necessarily logical.  The "idea" vs "implementation"
distinction is necessary, attaching those words to it more or less
arbitrary.

    Tim> with productization and commercialization the equivalent
    Tim> terms in the second syllogism.

In the market context, "commercialization" == "productization" ==
"innovation" is OK.  However in other contexts, they are different
ideas.  Eg, for much development within a firm we see:

innovation        == implement in your department
productization    == turn-key implementation for use by other
                     departments of your company
commercialization == sell the product in the open market

This terminology is quite standard in some fields of economics, and
since these are pretty common distinctions in those fields, quite
convenient.  But of course the definitions are much more fuzzy in
day-to-day conversation.