Subject: Re: Successful FSBs
From: "Benjamin J. Tilly " <ben_tilly@operamail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 11:53:37 +0500

Rich Bodo <rsb@ostel.com> wrote:

> > Opportunities need to be sized appropriately to
> > companies.  OSS allows one to capture crumbs from a
> > large market that one cannot dominate.
>
> Right, but I don't think being an FSB limits one to crumbs.  As many
> have pointed out, small businesses that start with crumbs springboard
> attacks on the whole tamale.  I've missed a lot of opportunities
> myself to enter markets with a product based on a crumb.

If I can dodge the question of defining an FSB, I think
that it does.  A large part of the promise of OSS for the
consumer is that it provides protection against vendor
monopolies.  This limits vendors to a crumb from the
theoreticaly potential for that market simply because of
the bargaining disparity.

Of course a crumb from a big market may be sizeable
enough.  And the FSB opportunity may lead to opportunities
in other markets.  But make no mistake, any FSB has to
understand that OSS dynamics put consumers in a very
strong bargaining position.  You need to work with that
dynamic, not against it.

Cheers,
Ben