Subject: Re: Successful FSBs
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 16:59:10 +0900

    Tim> But if I can, say, just go to cpan and get the module I need
    Tim> without writing any code, I've just accomplished a huge
    Tim> amount of re-use.

I think you're overestimating how much you've accomplished.  But be
that as it may....

I may be underestimating the value of the reuse that's going on in
free software.  But if so, I'm in good company.  Steve McConnell, for
example, who concluded (IEEE Software, Jul/Aug 1999) that "open source
methodology" wasn't ready for prime time.  Nor do I think our response
(same issue) was particularly convincing to anybody who isn't already
convinced.  Things have changed in OSS development, especially in the
leading projects, it's true---but the outside world hasn't been
standing still either.

And that's the bottom line, isn't it?  You don't have to listen to me;
you've been there, you know what can be done, you can make your own
judgements.  But what you're talking about is convincing people who
are far more likely to swear by McConnell's _Code Complete_ than by
ESR's _Magic Cauldron_.  I don't think unsupported claims about "just
going to CPAN" are very convincing.