Subject: Re: Successful FSBs
From: Rich Bodo <rsb@ostel.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 07:03:44 -0800 (PST)

That's true.  It's not right to say all free software is source
available.  All free software is open source, though.  BTW, I call the
software that we write for a customer "custom software".  By that I
just mean software that is custom made for a customer, although it's
almost always proprietary as well since the customer has the copyright
and cannot usually be convinced to share it.  I have had to resist
saying "I told you so" a few times to customers who would have
benefited greatly from sharing their custom software.  Sometimes it
becomes impossible to merge a forked branch back in, other times they
just lose personell or data and if they didn't share,
(ahem-Itoldyouso!-ahem).

-Rich

Rich Bodo | rsb@ostel.com | 650-964-4678