Subject: Re: Open Source Developer Exchange
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 23:35:54 -0500

Ron Lancaster writes:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > I'm interested in starting a compay similar to what Cosource
 > (http://web.archive.org/web/20010708093616/www.cosource.com/)  used to
 > be (with some differences). Specifically, an exchange where buyers can
 > sponsor development of features for open source projects. The company
 > would make money by taking a percentage of the fee paid.

Sounds like the Public Software Fund, only we're non-profit.  We have
a 501(c)(3) determination so donations towards the funding of projects
are deductible on your US income taxes, and we don't take a
percentage.  http://www.pubsoft.org.  Have recently added encryption
for all pages, and are working on taking credit cards for donations
(but don't let its absence stop you from making a pledge!)  Also
working on a RSS feed for news about projects.

By the way, I switched to using mod-python for the engine, and BOY is
it easy to install and BOY is it easy to use and BOY is it fast and
BOY does it let you do cool things quickly and easily.  I'm definitely
a mod-python fan.  http://www.modpython.org

 > So, why did these companies fail?

I don't know, and ... I don't want to find out the hard way!

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com | A government does enough
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | wrong to offset what it