Subject: BPR (was Re: Intro and question)
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 00:01:14 +0000

on Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 04:25:47PM -0800, Rich Bodo (rsb@ostel.com) wrote:

> > you said you like reading building-business-processes books.  Any
> > suggestions?
>
> Not really.  Most BPR books are collections of case studies in which
> management consultants (BPR consultants) hired by [insert fortune 500
> firm here] came in with a chainsaw and left with a fat payday.  The
> company in question often got immense value for their dollar from the
> BPR consultants, usually by eliminating beaurocracy, paperwork, and
> large chunks of the workforce.  These studies are usually followed by
> lots of advice on dealing with the existing management, scoping the
> project, etc.  BPR is probably not a hot buzzword anymore, so
> management consultants probably don't use it nowadays.  These aren't
> BPR books, but for general interest I recommend "Business Engineering
> with Object Technology", by David Taylor, and "Office Space", by Mike
> Judge.

Most significantly, BPR has been almost wholly disinherited by its
founders, who saw the germ of a good idea (think about what you're
doing, do it more efficiently) drowned in the bloodshed of
indiscriminate job slashing.

Peace.

    Windows Refund Day II:  fight for your right to refund
    http://www.windowsrefund.net/