Subject: Re: Research questions WRT SCO's complaint
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:15:36 +0000

on Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 06:58:08PM +1100, Ben Elliston (bje@wasabisystems.com) wrote:
> "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> writes:
>
> > Anyone with answers to the following:
>
> >   - What x86 Unices have there been?  When did they emerge?  I'm aware
> >     of Xenix (which became SCO), Solaris X86, BSDi, FreeBSD, OpenBSD,
> >     NetBSD, AIX/86, Dynix, and (for a broad definition of Intel
> >     architechtures), QNX.  I'm not clear of timelines.  And any others
> >     would be welcomed.
>
> Your best bet would be to consult The Unix History Society
> (http://www.tuhs.org/) which has a graph that shows the development
> timelines.  It would serve as a good place to check to make sure
> you've not forgotten any.  Your list looks pretty complete, but what
> about 386BSD and Coherent UNIX?

Eric Raymond's FAQ on PC-based Unix systems from the early 1990s is an
invaluable resource in this regard.

Eric's posted his own response to the SCO suit, currently in draft form
at OSI (http://www.opensource.org/), and references this FAQ.

It's also interesting reading from a memory lane perspective.

Peace.

    "Just another million years," said Marvin, "just another quick
    million. Then I might try it backwards. Just for the variety, you
    understand."
    -- HHGTG