Subject: Re: Research questions WRT SCO's complaint
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 18:30:51 +0000

on Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 05:17:29PM +0500, Benjamin J. Tilly  (ben_tilly@operamail.com)
wrote:
> "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > on Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 06:58:08PM +1100, Ben Elliston (bje@wasabisystems.com) wrote:

> > > Your best bet would be to consult The Unix History Society
> > > (http://www.tuhs.org/) which has a graph that shows the development
> > > timelines.  It would serve as a good place to check to make sure
> > > you've not forgotten any.  Your list looks pretty complete, but what
> > > about 386BSD and Coherent UNIX?
> >
> > Eric Raymond's FAQ on PC-based Unix systems from the early 1990s is an
> > invaluable resource in this regard.
>
> Both you and he forgot the most ironic Unix.
>
> INTERIX.  A Softway product running on top of Windows NT
> that achieved UNIX certification.
>
> http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/55321

I'm familiar with it.  I tried it out in the bad old days when I thought
WinNT4WS was a Real Operating System, and have tangled with Doug Miller
a few times.  I still suspect that Interix was bought by MSFT because
too many system internals were revealed in Interix to allow it to fall
into third-party hands (one of Interix's claims to fame is superior
performance and integration as compared with other Unix-on-legacy MS
Windows toolkits such as MKS, UWIN, and Cygwin).  Miller denies this
(private email).

Question becomes whether or not Microsoft (producer of Xenix) counts as
a major Unix vendor ;-)  The Unix certification dating to 1998 predates
much of SCO's complaint.

Peace.

   We freed Dmitry!        Boycott Adobe!         Repeal the DMCA!
     http://www.freesklyarov.org