Subject: Re: economic efficiency of free software
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:32:25 -0500

Tim O'Reilly writes:
 > This is a big part of my current stump speech, "The Open Source
 > Paradigm Shift".  I've been saying for years that we need to get beyond
 > the exclusive focus on licensing as the litmus test for open source,
 > and look at all of the other aspects, in particular, the way that
 > systems can be designed to create participation.
 >
 > There are a set of overlapping factors in the success of open source
 > software.  Unless we tease them apart, we aren't going to learn from
 > other, related successes.

Or ... there aren't, in which case the licensing is a critical
factor.  I don't say that to discourage anybody from looking for
cut-points, but instead to lay out the other possibility -- that open
source benefits are inseparable from open source costs.

--
--My blog is at angry-economist.russnelson.com  | Coding in Python
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok |     is like