Subject: Tim's paradigm shift
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:36:29 -0400

We should be talking about this, eh?

From: Tim O'Reilly <tim@oreilly.com>
Date: June 26, 2004 12:57:30 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave@farber.net>
Subject: The open source paradigm shift

Dave, this may be of interest to your readers.

I finally got around to writing up the talk I've been giving for the
past year or so, at locations as divergent as Red Hat and Microsoft,
about the way that the commoditization of software is driving value up
the stack to web apps, and how these apps leverage network effects (and
in particular what I've been calling "the architecture of
participation") as their key tool in gaining competitive advantage.   I
also talk about how the "Intel Inside" positioning is being
rediscovered in various software niches, and how commodity software
means that assembly of custom Linux distributions (rather than added
value) may be a key competency.

http://tim.oreilly.com/opensource/paradigmshift_0504.html

Tim O'Reilly @ O'Reilly Media, Inc.
707-827-7000
http://www.oreilly.com (company), http://tim.oreilly.com (personal)

--
--My blog is at angry-economist.russnelson.com  | The USA has turned into a
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | people that are afraid of